Saturday, April 8, 2017

Okinawa: Day One

I'm calling this Okinawa 'day one' even though we flew in the evening before. We picked up our rental car and drove for about an hour to our hotel. A couple of photos from our dinner...it was yum. 

View from our hotel balcony 
 The following morning we set off for Cape Hedo, a place Clinton had visited once on his mission. We included Okinawa in our trip to Japan as Clinton served in the area twice and for about a year all up. He had many fond memories in Okinawa and I really wanted to see it for myself. The island was a lot bigger than I expected and I felt for Clinton having to ride his bike in this hill filled area with a tropical climate. Again, it was a very overcast day but Cape Hedo was still a stunning place to visit. 


It was a really interesting and rocky landscape filled with dense scrub and these little succulents.  
Clint got some amazing drone footage 

Little buddha tributes with a stunning backdrop 




After visiting Cape Hedo we made our way to the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium, a world renowned aquarium and one of the largest in the world. It has successfully bred three whale sharks in captivity which we saw when we visited. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the whale sharks but we got video footage. 

These are part of the gardens around the aquarium. 


We then made a quick visit to Manza Beach 
Views looking down 



'The Ritz Carlton Okinawa' was beautiful - the best place we stayed in Japan, although we didn't spend much time there! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive