Day two in Kyoto we go up early and headed to Kinkaku-ji (translates as Temple of the Gold Pavilion). It's a Zen Buddhist temple and a very popular tourist attraction as it's gilded in gold leaf. We got there before the gates opened as we knew there would be a crush of tourists. The line was huge by the time we were allowed to enter. While we waited we got an ice cream from an ice cream vending machine...best.thing.ever! I don't understand why we don't have these vending machines in Australia?
Unfortunately it was a bit of an overcast sky but as you can see, the temple is such a striking gold colour. I loved the refections in the pool.
Quick iPhone selfie!
Hints of the temple through the trees
As we were up early we ate more Nikuman (steamed pork buns) for breakfast. So delicious!!
We walked down the street from Kinkaku-ji and found another park with cherry blossoms and little market stalls.
More lanterns and cherry blossoms, we never got tired of seeing them
We then visited Nijo Castle, originally built in the 1600's and was used as an imperial palace until 1939 when it was donated to the city of Kyoto. It has been built and rebuilt in parts but it's a stunning building and walking through it, we were able to get a feel for what Japanese imperial life was like.
Clinton sitting by the moat
Such beautiful detail on these buildings
The gardens of course were stunning and perfectly manicured
Top view from a lookout tower
A few photos from the gardens at Nijo Castle
We had read online that there was an 'owl cafe' close to the castle, it's a cafe that has live owls to look at and even hold. We went in search of it but unfortunately it looked like it had moved. By that stage we were pretty tired and hungry after skipping breakfast to get to Kinkaku-ji early that morning and walking so far. We took the train back to Kyoto station and found a restaurant that made okonomiyaki, (they are Japanese cabbage pancakes) one of Clinton's favourites from his mission. They cooked it up and served it to us on our own personal hot plate. It was actually pretty delicious!
I got a noodle dish (sorry can't remember the name of it) - that was yum too.
More hot chocolate out of a vending machine...have I mentioned I love Japanese vending machines??!
This was our delicious dinner that night, such lovely fresh sashimi.
I admit, I made Clinton eat the "fishier" ones on my plate! I love sashimi but not raw squid or strong smelling fish.
At the end of a long yet beautiful day!







































No comments:
Post a Comment