Friday, August 9, 2013

Super Reader!

I picked up Harrison from school today (I was running a bit late after waking up both of the girls) and Harry and his teacher Mrs Tomlins were waiting for me. Harry's teacher said she had just finished a reading assessment with Harrison and couldn't believe the results! They started on the level Harrison was at last term and went through several books looking for his new level. He is now 7 levels above where he was last term and is now at level 11 - nearly level 12! Mrs Tomlins said, "you must have been doing so much work with him at home". Embarrassingly, I had to say that no, I hadn't done any extra work apart from his normal homework reader and sight words. Harrison had done this all on his own! Last term we told Harrison that if he went to bed early enough (say around 6.30) then he could read in his bed until 7pm. His cousins Mia and Charlie have been doing this for a while and Harrison was excited to be able to do it too! Sometimes Clinton and I would forget about him and go into his room at 7.15 - 7.30pm to find him still avidly reading! Harrison loves any opportunity to learn something new. He asks me millions of questions and I have now started to find him you tube videos to explain things like, "how hot is the sun?" and "how far away is it from the earth?" and "what are clouds made of" etc. Harrison's teacher gave him a mini certificate that said "For persisting at practising your reading. You have gone up 7 levels since last term! Super reader!" 
 
On the way home, I told Harrison that he should be really proud of himself. I told him to remember this lesson, that when you put effort in and try your hardest you can achieve anything. We are so proud of you Harry!  
 
 

3 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! He is such a clever kid. You should have a look at the 'I Wonder Why' book series. Lots of cool facts and my kids read them over and over again in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic!!! Remind me to tell you about Bryan's conversation with Michael (regarding his comments to Harry....). Bryan commented to me on how much he loved that Harry asks so many questions - and actually listens for the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Harry! We're so proud of you! X

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive