Sunday, August 4, 2013

Clinton's Karijini Adventure

While I was in Perth with the kids recently, Clinton stayed in Karratha to work. During the time I was away, Clinton realised he had an RDO and thereby a long weekend with no family at home. So he decided to plan a trip to Karijini with his brother Trent. Clinton and I have been desperate to go to Karijini National Park and see the natural beauties that are in abundance in that area. Unfortunately, it's not really a place to take young children. If you want to get into the deep gorges you need to climb up and down steep rocks and navigate through pretty rough terrain in areas. With us being away and Trent able to fly up from Perth it was the perfect opportunity for Clinton to go. However, the camping grounds get booked up around this peek time of year. Clint tried to reserve a campsite online and it was all booked out. I called the bookings office and the man I was talking to said that very morning a booking had been cancelled for Saturday and Sunday night of Clinton's RDO weekend. What luck! I booked it straight away! Clinton picked up Trent on Friday night after work and they drove to Karijini early Saturday morning. Here are some of Clinton's amazing photos...He was sad because he accidentally left his camera's wide lens at home and he had ordered a proper tripod and it didn't arrive until he got back from Karijini! He took a tripod for our video camera and made do with his normal lens. Despite this, his photos are absolutely stunning!! 
 
 Joffre Gorge





 Trent and Clinton wouldn't have spider walked through this gorge if they hadn't seen other people ahead of them doing it first! See what I mean about it being hard for children? Everyone they met told them to keep going through the rough bits because what's on the other side is worth seeing.

 One of my favourites!


 One of the main reasons I want to visit Karijini is to see the stars at night. Clint was able to capture how amazing the sky is up there.

 Hammersley Gorge - spa pool

 Ok...this may look a bit scary but Trent is a trained snake handler. He owns about 30+ snakes at home - he breeds them. This is a python so it's not poisonous. Once Trent picked it up a whole group saw him and began to gather around.
  
Here are some amazing photos that Trent took too ( I stole them off FB hope you don't mind Trent!) - its cool seeing how Clinton had to climb and wade through water to get his photos!

















I think the boys had a great time together seeing beautiful Karijini National Park. Clinton lost Trent's sunglasses - the fell off his head into a running stream and disappeared too fast for Clint to retrieve them. Trent thought he'd lost his phone - he was sure he'd left it in the glove box but after looking several times it wasn't there. They thought someone had stolen it from the car. They had one more look on returning home and Trent saw a slight glimmer of the phone in a tiny, flat hole in the glove box. Phew! What a relief! Apart from these two incidents, the rest of the trip went smoothly and they have amazing photos to remember it by.  

2 comments:

  1. Great photos. Wish Trent wouldn't pick up random snakes though. I am finding it harder to tell the boys apart in photos! Must be like Tam and I being mistaken for each other. We are all going to end up looking like mum (which is not a bad thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pick up the snakes so you can tell us apart Bindi :)

    Great blog Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive