Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Millstream Chichester National Park

On the last Monday that Papa and Grammie were staying with us, Clinton had an RDO. We thought we'd make the most of it and visit Millstream Chichester National Park. It's about 45mins to an hour away from Karratha. We let Harrison have the day off school too which he was very excited about! He drove in Grammie and Papa's car on the way there and talked the whole way! By the time we drove into the national park the temperature gauge in our car was saying it was 41 degrees. We got out of the car to take a photo of this cool pyramid shaped hill. 
 


 We drove to the old 'Homestead' to have some lunch...it must have been 42-43 degrees, it was so hot. Luckily it wasn't humid at all, just a dry desert heat. Sienna and I spotted a large kangaroo looking at us when we got out of the car.  
 This baby kangaroo was with the larger one.
 Dad tells me this is a red chested spinifex pigeon...I just took a photo because I liked his face paint.
 This is the homestead, the original was torn down and rebuilt but it's still pretty old and now a museum.
Our picnic spot under a large tree in front of the homestead...this photo is deceiving, it looks cool and pleasant but we were roasting. Luckily the shade of this tree provided some relief. We all commented on how hot it would have been for the residents of the homestead with no air conditioning back in the day. 
 Harry in a tree

 Clinton of course brought his mini BBQ to cook up some lunch, we even fed a pack of hungry backpackers who were passing by.

 I love these photos of Grammie and Alissa, you can tell they are related!
 

These two are thick as thieves... 
 Alissa snoogie face! (nice hair)
 Clinton, Harrison, Sienna and I went for a walk along the fresh water stream that runs adjacent to the homestead. It is beautiful clear water and so picturesque.


 No swimming allowed in here but Sienna had to dip her feet in!

 Back to the homestead, you can see the original old kitchen and cooks quarters to the right...you would want to be paid a lot to do that job, the cook would have been boiling.
 We then had a quick swim in deep reach pool
 There are stairs leading down to it but you can't touch the bottom, Harrison was a bit hesitant to swim in there.

 I had to get a photo of this cool looking dragonfly, love the yellow and black stripes.
 Success...Harrison got in and swam!
On the drive home I had to tell Clint to pull over so I could take a photo of an iron ore train. These trains have so many carriages - you don't want to get stuck at a train crossing! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive