Saturday, March 2, 2013

Year One


I was so proud of Harrison on his first day of year one. We'd only been in Karratha for a few days and Harry had a new house, new school and a new year level to deal with. My biggest concern with moving to Karratha was how well Harry would settle in. He's a creature of habit who doesn't particularly like change. Harrison had some really good friends at Ashdale Primary School who had been in his class in both kindy and pre-primary. So you can imagine my relief when we found out that Harrison would be in Michael Pilkington's class! When I registered Harrison for Tambrey Primary School the admin staff were frantically trying to deal with several new enrolments. I was going to ask if Harry could be in Michael's class but I didn't want to bother the staff with another request. Then as we were filling out forms the school principal happened to see us and stopped to introduce himself. He then asked Harrison (who was looking nervous) if he knew anyone at the school in his year level. We told him we knew Michael and he said he'd try to get them in the same class. He then showed us around the school a bit which was very nice considering how busy he was! I've bumped into the principal since and he remembered our names and said he was glad he was able to help Harry to be in Michael's class. Harrison was so happy to have a friend in his class and now Michael and Harry have become great friends. I feel so blessed that Harrison was looked after like that. He now has a friend who he sees at church and at school every day! A very rare thing - especially in a tiny community like Karratha. He loves his teacher Mrs Tomlin's and has settled in beautifully. His class is actually a split year one/two class with four year twos and the rest year ones. Well done Harrison for dealing with so many transitions in such a grown up way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive