On the Monday Monique flew home with Ava, while Mum and Dad stayed on to drive with the kids and I to a cattle station near Onslow. Unfortunately Clinton was doing a mini shut down at work and was working 12 hour days and unable to take leave that week. It was only about 3 and a half hours away from Karratha so we thought we'd spend a couple of days there. It's an incredible property - you drive through dusty roads and desert looking plains and then out of nowhere an oasis appears! The station was lush and green and breathtakingly beautiful and our accomodation was amazing. We stayed in a beautiful house on a hill with this being the view from Mum and Dad's bedroom.
We arrived late afternoon and this was the view...the white gumtrees are spectacular against the red dirt and green underbrush.
Our gorgeous house
Sienna found lots of interesting insects, including many little ladybugs. She always wants to keep insects as pets though...we are teaching her to enjoy them and then return them back to nature!
I fell in love with this abandoned car
I love this photo of the kids sitting on one of the many sculptures.
The homestead grounds - I did't take many photos of these as they are private grounds
The kids were very excited to visit the chicken pen and went regularly to watch them.
Sorry, it was so beautiful I had to take a million photos!
I was up really early one morning with the kids and watched the sunrise...it was a nice light over the trees
Early morning Alissa!
Papa taking the kids for a walk - Sienna and Alissa didn't make it very far!
This was one of my favourite sculptures on the property...
Harrison and Papa
Alissa giving up on bushwalking
Sienna finding more interesting bugs!
One day we took a drive to Onslow (not the nicest town) and then visited Old Onslow - or what is left of the original settlement. It was quite large in it's heyday but there aren't many ruins left, most of the bricks were transported elsewhere to build new buildings.
Stopping for passing cattle
The kids swam a couple of times in the amazing man-made lake
Sienna pushing Alissa on the swing
Grandma and Lissy
Not happy to be getting out!
The trees lit up at night!
Alissa taking a break with Grandma's phone
Learning to skim rocks
Sienna is all into posing for photos right now!
Meeting another local!
We took a visit to the old shearers quarters which have been fixed up and can be used when needed.
This cute poppet...
It looks like I took a lot of photos but I actually didn't take as many as I usually would! We had a delicious dinner with the stockmen and workers in their communal kitchen one night and a BBQ another night with supplied beef from the station. Harrison and Papa visited the stockmen and saw a baby calf who was only just born. We had an incredible experience and made many more happy memories together with Papa and Grandma. It was just a shame that Clinton missed out, he would have loved to see this cattle station.































































No comments:
Post a Comment