Friday, October 4, 2013

October 2013

 
Just a quick update on my three children in October of 2013. The days, weeks, months and years are flying by and my children seem to be getting bigger by the minute! How is it that in a blink of an eye, my tiny newborn baby is now a crawling, eating, babbling 9 month old? Let alone my vivacious 2 and a half year old...going on 16 year old. Harrison has one more term of year one and yet I vividly remember walking a tiny, nervous 4 year old into class on his first day of kindergarten. Here are a few things they have been saying and doing lately...
 

Harrison at 7 

Harrison is growing taller at a very fast pace, he is already the tallest in his year one class! I put his church pants on him on Sunday morning (the ones I bought in Perth in July) and they are already ankle busters! Not to mention the speed his feet are growing, we usually buy a pair of shoes and the next size up to be ready for when he outgrows them.

 Harry has always had an inquisitive brain and continues to pepper us with questions. I have now discovered that youtube is my friend as it often has a little video explaining whatever Harrison is asking about. Thanks to Bindi, I have also been buying Harry the "I Wonder Why" books that explain all sorts of things from "why is the sea salty?" to "why were pyramids built?" Grammie and Papa have also sent some of these books and books on sea creatures and Australian wildlife (very handy up here!).

Harrison is very thoughtful, often writing his friends and I kind little notes. Like this one he made on the computer by himself:

   It says, My Mum: she takes care of me, she is white (I had a giggle at that one), she is the best mum ever, she takes me to the park, she is nice to me, she is a good cook.

Harry has enjoyed riding his bike out the front of our house, our street is a cul-de-sac and very quiet so when we come and sit out the front, Harry can ride around to his hearts content. Sometimes his friend Ben at the end of our street will come and ride with him too. Harry also enjoys going to the skate park and riding his bike and scooter on the tracks.

Recently, Harrison's class did an assessment to write a short story. The teacher told me that Harrison filled two pages and asked for another page. She was worried that he might be just be trying to write the longest story and not concentrating on the content. Harry assured her that he had a story in mind and needed more paper to finish it. She gave him another piece and then another. His story was called, 'The Elephant and the Monkey' and it was about an elephant that couldn't find his talent. He was asking all the other animals what his talent was but none of them could tell him. Then he met a monkey who couldn't find his talent either, so the elephant helped the monkey see that his talent was swinging in trees and the monkey helped the elephant to see that his talent was swimming. Together they helped each other and became best friends. The teacher was so impressed by the story's length, content and moral that she sent Harrison to the principal's office to show her. Unfortunately, the principal wasn't there but the vice principal Mrs Gibson read the story and gave Harrison a little award and stickers.


We are so proud of our lovely boy Harrison, our family wouldn't be complete without this little man!



Sienna at 2 & 10 months

Sienna is still princess obsessed and loves a new Disney TV show called 'Sophia the First'. It's about a little princess who has dark, wavy hair and big eyes like Sienna. She has decided that she ONLY wants to wear princess dress-ups or and I quote,"dresses that twirl." This is frustrating to me because she has so many cute pairs of shorts! I don't let her go out of the house in dress-ups but she often wears her mini tiara (Like Tiana from 'Princess and the Frog' apparently). As soon as we get home her clothes are off and a princess dress-up is on complete with Tiara and plastic high heels. At one stage she was constantly changing dresses so I put a lock on her cupboard! She often says her name is "tangled" or 'bupunzel' (Rapunzel from the Disney movie 'Tangled'). She insists on her hair in plaits saying "two Rapunzel plaits please". Or the other day she said she wanted "princess porridge with berries" for breakfast. Safe to say that this little girl thinks she's a princess herself!

 Mini Tiara
 Dressed in her "princess wedding dress" dress-up jumping on the trampoline

Since the start of the year, Sienna has made lots of changes - she now has no dummy, she's toilet trained, she sleeps in a bed instead of a cot and her personality is really growing into its own. One of her favourite things to do is paint and often there are paints sitting on the little table outside that she wanders out to and paints at throughout the day. We also keep play dough in the fridge that comes out regularly. When music is on or her princesses are singing in the movies she watches, she will start to dance and sing too. Being a 2 year old, there is some tantrums, whinging and screaming when she doesn't get what she wants. She doesn't like being sent to the 'thinking spot' when this behaviour occurs! I have described her as a bit of a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 2 year old, where one minute she's laughing and dancing and the next she's yelling and crying. Fortunately, she does get over her bad moods pretty quickly. I try and try and try to keep Sienna's hair, face and clothes neat and tidy but to no avail. She is too busy playing and getting into everything to keep tidy.

Painting...in her "princess wedding dress"...of course.

Lately, Sienna likes to help with jobs around the house. Her favourites are passing the washing to me from the basket to hang on the line and folding washing. She folds up clothes in neat little bundles and puts them in a pile for me. She loves to feel needed and helpful!

Sienna is always entertaining our family with the funny little things that come out of her mouth, like when she sings "Popcorn Popping", she says, "...it wasn't really 'snow' but it seemed to me, popcorn 'plop' on the apricot tree. I was asking Harrison what his favourite food was and he said "ham and cheese croissants" and Sienna pipes up and randomly says "mine is black olibs (olives) from the fridge". The other day I asked her, "where is Alissa bub?" and she replied, "Alissa is playing on the carpet and there is a green caterpillar coming out of her nose!" Poor Alissa had a cold! She also says "I'm not scared, what a beautiful day" like the bear hunt song.

 

She is such a funny, lively, happy little ray of sunshine in our house and we love her to bits, even when she gets up from a day nap and I say, "hi Sienna!" and she keeps walking saying, "don't talk to me!" I told you, 2 going on 16...oh boy! 


 Alissa at 9 Months

I've said it before, but Alissa is growing up too fast! Slow down Alissa and let me enjoy you as a baby a little bit longer. At nine months, Alissa is sitting up by herself and crawling everywhere. She's getting pretty fast, one minute I see her at one end of the house only to find her right up the other end in a matter of seconds! She's a human vacuum and will put anything in her mouth...it's a mission to keep small Lego pieces and barbie shoes away from her.

Alissa absolutely loves food! Unlike with Harrison and Sienna, I have been able to keep breast feeding longer than 7 months. Alissa still feeds four times a day plus solids. For breakfast she eats either porridge or weetbix and a tub of yoghurt with fruit. She also loves vegemite toast! Lunch time she'll eat a sandwich with either, cheese, avocado, vegemite or tuna plus some cut up fruit. She can drink out of sippy cup by herself - and chugs down water. Then dinner time she eats mashed up meat and veggies made in the thermomix plus tastes of whatever we're eating (Sienna will often slip her the stuff on her plate that she doesn't want like broccoli).

 
Alissa says "mumma" the most when she's sad (I know!) and as soon as she see's Clinton she says "dadadada" in a gorgeous high pitched voice. Another Daddy's girl! She also likes to say "bub bub bub" and "nanananana". She can nearly clap her hands - she sort of swipes them together. She loves to bop up and down to any music that is playing. If anyone is singing, Alissa will join in with the cutest little voice. The people that sit behind us in church love it when she's looking over my shoulder at them and "singing" to the hymns.

 
Sleep was a bit of an issue for a while...I didn't want to let her cry and was worried she'd wake up the other kids too. After reading, 'Save our Sleep' I bit the bullet and let her cry. She now sleeps from 7pm until about 6am.

Alissa has become quite clingy and doesn't like other people holding her (except Daddy and family). When family come to stay she warms up to them pretty fast but if anyone at church tries to hold her she cracks it. I've tried putting her in crèche at the gym a few times (she used to be quite happy in there) and they keep coming and getting me because she won't calm down. I've put gym on hold for a while. Hopefully she'll grow out of this stage...I just need to pass her around a bit more I think.

 
Although  she's clingy, she's very smiley to everyone who looks at her. Alissa is on the whole, a very happy, content little soul. She loves bath time and swimming in the ocean or the pool. She's getting more and more tanned every day! We love her to bits!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive