Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Monday Firsts

Sienna had her first day of "school" on Monday. She will be going to day care one day a week during Harrison's school hours. I put her down on the day care waiting list when I first arrived in Karratha and then forgot all about it! They called me a couple of weeks ago and said they had a spot for her and then I had to consider whether I could actually go through with sending her. I have never been a huge advocate for day care, unless a mother has to work and it's a necessity. 
 
However, Sienna doesn't start kindergarten next year - she is a December baby and so she won't go to school until 2015. This worked well for Harrison, I think he needed an extra year at home but Sienna is a different story. Her language skills and maturity level is much more developed than Harry at the same age. I think having an older sibling to copy has helped too. She is constantly bored at home and wanting extra activities and play dates. We used to socialise a lot more when we were in Perth with so many friends and family to keep us busy. Now Sienna might have a play date once a week. Also, her closest friends in Karratha Tyler and Lucy both start Kindergarten next year.
 
She used to ask me if we could go to the gym just so she could go to crèche. I knew she would love a full day of activities and socialising once a week. In saying all that, I was super nervous for her on her first day (and if I'm being honest - feeling a bit guilty). I never thought I'd send one of my children to 'day care'. Also, the week before she started I tried to put her in the crèche at the swimming pool so I could focus on Harrison's swimming lessons and they brought her out to me crying! She has never cried in a crèche before or at nursery at church so this made me worry that she'd be upset on her first day.
 
On Sienna's first day, Amy very kindly took Harrison to swimming for me and then a play at her house. I was able to take her to her class and sit with her for forty-five minutes while she settled in. They put her in the 3-4 year old room and really it's program is very similar to Kindy. They have outdoor play times, mat time, free play, craft and activities and a little rest time. 
 
When we arrived, Sienna went straight to the home corner and started playing with the dolls and cooking on the wooden stove. As I was leaving they gave her a painting smock and started setting up a painting activity, they also said they would be making pikelets with the kids later that morning. Sienna didn't cry when I left and seemed happy (relief for me!).
 
When I picked her up she was happily playing in the home corner again. They said she got a bit teary when it was 'pack away time'. It will take her a bit of time to get used to following a set routine. But overall they said she had a great day! I told her she would be going again next week and she said, "oh thank you Mummy!!" She also told me off for coming too early because they were going to eat the pikelets they made for afternoon tea. 
 

 That night after FHE we skyped Grammie and Papa and Papa was waving at Alissa on the screen. All of a sudden Alissa waved back and continued to wave to them every time they waved at her! I have been trying to get Alissa to wave for a few weeks now so I was just a little bit excited! For such a clingy baby she was warming up to Grammie and Papa very fast on Skype, I think she will love them visiting next week. I took these photos of her on Monday morning, she loved having lots of one on one time playing with me while Sienna was at school.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive