Saturday, June 1, 2013

Mum's Birthday

Our family was very excited to have Mum/Grammie staying with us on her birthday. I'm not sure how relaxing a day it was for her though! The morning was a bit chaotic with getting ready for church and then after church Mum and Dad were entertaining the kids while I cooked.
 
Cooking for Mum is always a bit daunting as she is such a good cook. Mum and I had seen a recipe in the paper for scallops, pork and chilli caramel. She actually did the prep work the day before by slow cooking the pork with soy, palm sugar, ginger and garlic. She then shredded the pork and mixed it with some XO sauce. The pork is then pressed into a tray and left overnight in the fridge. Clinton and I cut the tray up into 1 inch cubes and then flour, egg and crumbed it with Japanese breadcrumbs. Clinton then deep fried them until golden. I made a chilli caramel to pour over the top and a coconut cream for it to sit on. We pan fried scallops in butter and served with fresh pineapple cubes. Our presentation was a bit rushed but the flavours were yum!  
 
 
After making the entrée our main was too rushed and not that great. I made bread rolls and a pumpkin, bean and ricotta salad. My pumpkin was a little undercooked. Clinton's job was to BBQ the salmon fillets but the gas in the BBQ ran out half way through, so he was forced to panfry them as well, which made them a little dry. I made fresh hollandaise sauce in my thermomix (literally takes 6 minutes and is so yum!) so that made the salmon taste a bit better.
 

 
Cherry chocolate birthday cake for dessert. Alissa was mesmerised by the candles! 
 

 
Grammie did blow out the candles but then we had to re-light them so Harrison could have a go too. (How cute is Alissa's face here?)
 


Then Sienna needed a go too, with some extra puff from Papa - nice sunglasses Sen.


 
Time to cut the cake...we were all stuffed with food by the end of the night! We love you Mum/Grammie and hope you had a nice birthday with us this year. xox
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive