Thursday, July 5, 2018

Japan Trip - Day Two

Day two in Tokyo and our bags still hadn't arrived. Luckily the raincoats we bought were packed in our hand luggage. We headed to the Asakusa district and visited the Senso-ji Shrine and Buddhist Temple. First we stopped at McDonalds for lunch and that is where Zara picked up this mask (a toy in her happy meal!). 
I love seeing the girls dressed up in their colourful kimonos, taking photos in front of the temples. There are lots of little market stalls as you walk up to this temple and the kids enjoyed exploring them.  



A famous giant sandal that is good luck to touch (very oversimplified explanation I'm sure!)


It started to rain while we were at the shrine and the kids thought it was fantastic - crazies!


Getting smoky by the shrine
Enjoying the rain
Zara taking another quick nap in the pram 
The girls favourite shop, filled with tiny glass-blown ornaments 




Drinking the rain and getting soaked, I'm sure the other tourists thought she was mad!
Then we took the kids on a rickshaw ride through the district, I can't believe how strong these guys are!





Next we visited the famous Skytree 
Some pics of the kids mucking around out the front of the Skytree



Such a great view at the top!



One of Harrison's favourite things about Japan are the ice cream vending machines 
On the train back home for dinner and bed!
Our children didn't understand the concept of 'train etiquette' in Japan. People don't talk on the train, eat on the train, drink on the train and even their children are quiet and composed on the train rides. Our kids were swinging off hand rails, singing, yelling, eating, dropping food, crying, screaming...luckily the Japanese people are also too polite to tell you off for breaking the rules. Clint and I were often mortified! 

No comments:

Post a Comment